In today’s post I’ve decided to make a list of 30 really interesting facts about the human brain. Have a read, enjoy, and feel free to post comments of other interesting facts that I may have missed in this post. 🙂
1. About 75% of the brain is composed of water.
2. The human brain weighs about 3 lbs. (an average of 1300-1400g).
3. The brain cannot feel any pain because there are no brain receptors inside it.
4. Your brain is very soft and delicate that a table knife can cut it. It is comprised of gray and white matter. The gray matter (40%) is composed of neurons while the white matter (60%) consists of dendrites and axons.
5. The number of neurons in the human brain is the same as the number of stars in the galaxy, which is about 100 billion. Also, during the early stage of pregnancy, neurons increase in number with the rate of 250,000 neurons every minute. Throughout its life, the human brain keeps on producing new neurons for its mental activity.
6. Your brain is comprised of two sides: the left and right. The left side (left hemisphere)is the one which rules the right part of your body. On the other hand, the right side (right hemisphere) controls the left part of your body. Between the two, the left side of your brain has 186 million more neurons than the right side.
7. Of all the organs in your body, the brain is the fattest. It is made up of at least 60% fat.
8. At age 18, the brain stops growing. On the other hand, the brain reduces 0.25% in mass every year after you reach the age of 30.
9. An average of 70,000 is the number of thoughts that a human brain can produce every day.
10. The amount of blood which flows through your brain per minute ranges from 750 to 1000ml, which is equivalent to 3 cans of soda.
11. The human brain has a volume of about 1300 to 1400 cm3.
12. As you stay awake, your brain is able to generate 25 watts of power, which is enough to power a light bulb.
13. Within a span of 4 to 6 minutes, the brain can live with no oxygen.
14. Your brain consumes the largest part of your energy. 20% of the whole energy production of your body is used by your brain. This energy is used for all the activities that the brain does such as the health maintenance of the brain cells.
15. You will lose consciousness when your brain loses supply of blood for an average of 10 seconds.
16. Did you know that when you yawn, you are sending more oxygen to your brain?
17. Your brain makes up the 2% of your total body weight.
18. When your brain consumes oxygen, the white matter in your brain will consume 6% of it while the remaining 94% goes to the grey matter.
19. If you are overexposed to aluminum compounds found or used in deodorants, toothpaste, foil, antacids, there is a higher risk of affecting brain function.
20. The human brain has the same texture of a ripe avocado.
21. Your brain is composed of white and gray matter but it looks pink due to the flow of blood.
22. 1% of the human brain is composed of inorganic salt.
23. The cerebral cortex has a surface area of 2,500 cm2 (2.69 sq.ft.).
24. Each time you remember something or got a fresh idea, it is another way of saying that you are producing a new connection in your brain.
25. Studies show that brain waves tend to be more active when a person is dreaming than when he or she is awake.
26. 20% of the blood which circulates in your body is used by your brain.
27. The human brain has 100,000 miles of blood vessels.
28. The neocortex of the human brain is responsible for a person’s consciousness and language.
29. The transmission of information depends on the type of neurons in your brain. Information can be transferred for as slow as 0.5 meters per second or as fast as 120 meters per second.
30. Talking or reading aloud in front of a child helps in his or her brain development.
I hope that you’ve enjoyed this post. I probably could have posted 200 interesting facts there is so much that goes on inside the brain.
I look forward to bringing you many more interesting posts in the future on this Mind Tracks blog. I intend to keep writing posts on many different mindset related topics including, mind power, enlightment, getting the most out of yourself and your mind, wealth generation, health tips and more.
Stay tuned, all the best,